Vacancy: 3820: After Hours Librarian (post level 9 – 2 positions)
Department: Library & Information Services
Department Library and Information Services
After Hours Librarian (post level 9 – 2 positions)
Job ID: 3820
KINDLY TAKE NOTE: Applications may only be submitted online through the official UFS vacancy website: http://www.ufs.ac.za/templates/vacancies. Applications submitted through any other platform will not be considered.
Please ensure that all relevant documentation is attached to your application. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
A detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter (please note that the first three (3) referees on your CV will be contacted with regard to reference checking);
Certified copies (not older than 6 months) of all academic records;
Certified copies (not older than 6 months) of qualifications (please provide the SAQA accreditation in the case of foreign qualifications);
A certified copy (not older than 6 months) of your identity document (ID);
Proof of registration with a Professional Body (if applicable);
A copy of your driver’s license (if applicable).
Duties and responsibilities:
• Management and Supervision:
– Be part of the recruitment and appointment of Student Assistants.
– Develop and manage the roster for Student Assistants.
– Train Students Assistants on their responsibilities.
– Undertake human resources’ responsibilities (Supervision, monitoring, etc.).
– Manage the implementation of the Service Charter.
– Manage security and cleaning services.
• Training and Development:
– Conduct orientation sessions for new staff and students.
– Equip students with basic information literacy skills.
– Basic information resources (Reference works, Periodicals, Electronic resources).
– Search strategies (Steps in performing search, KovsieCat).
– Internet and databases (Finding information on the internet).
– Ethical and legal use of information (Copyright, plagiarism).
– Develop content and train first year students with information literacy skills in collaboration with CTL UFSS 1504.
• Client Relationship Management:
– Manage services delivered at frontline service points (Circulations, Journals and Research Unit).
– Deliver professional and reference services (Conduct searches, respond to queries, provide support, etc.).
– Marketing Library services and resources to support academic excellence.
– Create awareness and train on available information resources to improve usage – value for money.
• Collection Development:
– Advise on collection development needs.
– Manage the use of collections on short loan/reserved.
– Manage the selection of balanced information resources, to meet the teaching and learning information needs of users (Avoid unnecessary duplications).
– Assess collection and confirm current status to ensure relevancy, currency and usage.
A Bachelor’s degree in Library and Information Science on NQF level 7 or an equivalent / any Bachelor’s degree on NQF level 7 plus a Post Graduate Diploma in Library and Information Science on NQF level 8.
Membership of LIASA (Attach the 2021 certificate).
A minimum of two (2) years relevant working experience related to the duties and responsibilities.
• Results Orientated:
– The ability to be reliable, responsible, dependable and to fulfil obligations.
– The ability to deal calmly and effectively with high stress situations.
• Strategic Thinking:
– The ability to deal with several activities at a time.
– The ability to carefully analyse information and use logic to address issues and problems at work.
• Business Acumen:
– The ability to adhere to rules and strictly follow work regulations.
– The ability to lead, take charge of situations, and offer opinions and directions to others.
– The ability to be cooperative with others, display a good-natured attitude, and encourage people to work together.
• Building Coalitions:
– The ability to be self-assured and at ease with people in all types of social situations.
– The ability to interact with others and establish personal connections with people.
Assumption of duties:
01 June 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
21 May 2021
The salary scale is available on request.
For enquiries, please feel free to contact 051 401 9848/ 7705 /7267 or email Recruit@ufs.ac.za
(Subject to specific conditions): pension scheme, medical aid scheme, group life insurance, housing allowance, leave and sick leave, service bonus and study benefits.
The University reserves the right not to fill the post. The University subscribes to and applies the principles prescribed by the Employment Equity Act. Preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups, in accordance with the principles of the aforementioned act and the employee profile of the specific department/division.
The UFS is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Plan is available at https://ufsacza.sharepoint.com/sites/supportservices/hr/Resources/Employment%20Equity%20Plan_July2017.pdf. For this post, we seek particularly to attract black (i.e. African, Coloured and Indian) and disabled South African candidates.
The UFS will only consider applications of candidates who meet all the inherent requirements of the position. Applications that are incomplete or sent by fax or e-mail, will not be considered. Communication will be limited to shortlisted candidates only. Should you not be contacted within six weeks of the closing date for applications, you may assume that your application was unsuccessful.
External candidates can click HERE to apply online.
UFS staff members can log onto PeopleSoft, click Self-Service, Recruiting and Careers to apply online.